Hot dogs made in the air fryer are a game changer. You will soon be on your way to making the perfect hot dog; imagine crispy hot dogs, juicy hot dogs, on a toasted bun. Never mind that; make this recipe, and unlock the secret to making the best hot dogs.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Why you should try air-fried hot dogs.
Do you want a quick and delicious meal for the whole family? Top these with your favorite toppings and favorite condiments, and you will soon be on your way to the most delicious hot dogs ever. Do you love those grilled hot dogs? Learn the ultimate way, with this easy air fryer recipe.
Why you should try this recipe.
This is an easy way to make flavorful hot dogs. To be honest, once this method was tried in my house, we never went back to boiling, baking, or microwaving them.
- Hot Dogs – pick your favorite brand of hot dog. We enjoy beef hot dogs the best, so brands like Nathan’s, Hebrew National, or whatever Costco is carrying is what we buy.
- Hot Dog Buns – your standard hot dog bun is fine, but if you can find pretzel hot dog buns, you will thank me later.
You can also make air fryer hot dogs with cheese. See the recipe card below for instructions.
How to Air Fry Hot Dogs and Buns
I like my Phillips Air fryer. I turn up the heat to 390 degrees. I pop a couple of hot dogs into the preheated air fryer right on the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook them for about 5 to 6 minutes. You should start to see crispy skin at this point.
I like to pull the hot dogs out of the cooker, place them into the hot dog buns, and cook them for 1 to 2 minutes more. This makes the outside of the hot dog bun crispy. Who doesn’t love a crispy bun? And if you add a bit of cheese when you pop them back into the air fryer the cheese melts perfectly.
What can you serve with hot dogs
These hot dogs can make a meal on their own, but here are a few suggestions.
- Potato Salad: A classic side dish that’s perfect for summer barbecues.
- Baked Beans: A sweet and savory side dish that adds a hearty touch to your hot dog meal.
- Corn on the Cob: Grilled or boiled, this sweet and juicy veggie is an excellent complement to hot dogs.
- Coleslaw: A tangy, creamy side dish that adds a refreshing crunch to your hot dog meal.
- Broccoli Pasta Salad: A cold pasta dish packed with veggies and dressing is a great side dish for hot dogs.
- Chips and Salsa: A crunchy and spicy snack perfect for dipping or topping your hot dog.
- Watermelon: A sweet and juicy fruit perfect for a hot summer day.
- Spicy Macaroni and Cheese: A creamy and cheesy pasta dish perfect for satisfying your comfort food cravings.
- Fruit Salad: A sweet and refreshing dish perfect for a light and healthy side.
- Pickles: A tangy and crunchy snack perfect for biting between bites of hot dog.
Whether you’re grilling for a crowd or just looking for something quick and easy, these side dishes are sure to be a hit!
How Air Fryers Work
You might wonder How Air Fryers work. Your current toaster oven, may already have an air fryer function built in.
This kitchen appliance works by circulating super-hot air in a small space. In the case of hot dogs, very hot air is circulated through the cooking area. This works for cooking the hot dog on the outside quickly. The excess fat will drip away from the hot dog. You may want to cook up a few tater tots along with the hot dogs.
My favorite air fryer is my Phillips Air Fryer. There are many different brands, but I have tried the Phillips and the Black and Decker version, and for me, the Phillips brand circulated the air better and made for a better-finished product. My results with the Phillips tended to be crispier and it cooked at a higher temperature.
You can extend the use of your air fryer by cooking all sorts of things with it. I have made roasted corn in my air fryer. I have also enjoyed bacon-wrapped jalapeno poppers in the air fryer. Check out all my air fryer recipes.
10 Unforgetable Hot Dog Toppings Combinations you must try!
Here are many great options for you to try with his easy hot dog recipe. I know that you will find that the air fryer method is the way o make a perfectly cooked hot dog.
- Classic Ketchup and Mustard: Never underestimate the power of the classic combination. A timeless classic for a reason!
- Caramelized Onions: Slow-cook sliced onions in butter until they’re golden and sweet, then heap them on top of your hot dog.
- The New Yorker: try this with Sabrett Onions
- Swiss cheese, mustard, and sauerkraut: Fermented cabbage adds a tangy, slightly sour flavor to your hot dog.
- Chili cheese dogs: Warm, meaty chili makes a delicious topping for hot dogs, especially when topped with a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar, Swiss, or American cheese can all be melted over a hot dog to create a delicious and gooey topping.
- Guacamole: Rich and creamy guacamole make a delicious topping for hot dogs, especially when combined with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
- Salsa: Fresh salsa adds flavor and a little heat to your hot dog.
- Coleslaw: Sweet and tangy coleslaw is a classic topping for hot dogs, especially in summer. Try my KFC coleslaw.
- BBQ Sauce, dill pickle relish, and chopped onion: Tangy and sweet, a drizzle of BBQ sauce can add some serious flavor to your hot dog.
More Favorite Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Air Fryer Baked Potato
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Shrimp
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Tempura
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Wings
Get the best recipes for restaurant appetizers and restaurant side dishes.
Add to Collection Go to Collections
Best Ever Air Fryer Hot Dog
- 2 hot dogs
- 2 hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese if desired
Preheat the air fryer to 390°F for about 4 minutes.
Place two hot dogs into the air fryer and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove the hot dogs from the air fryer.
Place each hot dog in a bun and add cheese if desired.
Return the dressed hot dogs to the air fryer and cook for an additional 2 minutes.