Avocado Basil Pasta is the perfect salad for summer! Full of ripe creamy avocados, crisp bacon and juicy tomatoes, you and yours truly are going to love this!
Avocado Basil Pasta Salad
This is probably one of the best pasta salads that I have ever made. I LOVE fresh avocado and when combined with fresh tomatoes and basil, it takes pasta salad to a whole new level of amaizng! And if that wasn’t good enough, you can top it with crumbled bacon and shredded parmesan cheese all tossed with a dash of lemon, oil and garlic. This avocado basil pasta is going to be a huge hit at your next get together!
The ingredients are simple and this avocado basil pasta is super easy and quick to throw together. This is the perfect pasta salad for any occasion! Take this to your next BBQ, potluck or family dinner and watch it disappear. Everyone is going to love the fresh light flavors in this avocado basil pasta salad. It’s not heavy so it’s a perfect summer salad to add to your menu. Seriously, this is a MUST make!
Ingredients For Basil Avocado Pasta Salad
This basil avocado pasta salad is easy to throw together and make for a delicious side dish! For all pasta ingredients scroll to the recipe card for exact measurements.
- Dried bow-tie and/or wagon wheel pasta: Any type of pasta will work here really, but the bow-tie or wagon wheel just makes it fun and the kids love the wagon wheels.
- Avocados: Halved, seeded, peeled, and coarsely chopped, look for firm avocados that give slightly to pressure. They should be free from dents and bruises.
- Ripe tomatoes: Roughly chopped, I like to use Roma tomatoes because they are firm, flavorful, and not overly juicy.
- Bacon: Crisp-cooked drained and crumbled, if you are short on time, they have pre-cooked crumbled bacon you can purchase at the store. Avoid bacon bits that are artificial and full of preservatives.
- Fresh basil: Fresh basil can be found in most produce sections, look for bright firm leaves that are fragrant. Chop the basil finely.
- Lemon juice: This will brighten the flavor as well as help the avocado from turning brown too quickly.
- Olive oil: Olive oil adds flavor and will also help keep the ingredients fresh.
- Garlic: Use fresh minced garlic for the best flavor. Jarred garlic can be used in a pinch.
- Ground black pepper and Salt: Using freshly ground pepper will give the salad a nice punch of flavor. Add to taste.
- Parmesan cheese: Use shredded parmesan instead of grated or shaved. It blends the best and still adds great flavor.
How to Make Avocado Pasta
Serve immediately, the avocados will go brown the longer it sits. Avocado Basil Pasta salad can be made an hour ahead of time however leave out the avocado until ready to serve. With a simple toss it will all look amazing when served chilled!
- Pasta: Cook the pasta according to package directions. Rinse and set aside.
- Mix: In a large bowl combine the avocados, tomatoes, bacon, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic pepper, and salt. Add the pasta and toss to combine.
- Serve: Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with cheese.
Avocado Pasta Salad Tips
- Avocados: Avocados can be tricky to buy, when buying your avocados, keep in mind when you want to make the avocado basil salad and buy accordingly. Too early and they’ll be overripe, brown, and bruised. Not early enough and they can be rock hard. To speed up the ripening of an avocado place it in a paper bag rolled up tightly. Add a banana to the bag for even faster ripening. it should yield to firm gentle pressure.
- Pasta: Be sure to salt your pasta water for the best tasting pasta, it’ll give it impeccable flavor. I like to use bowtie or wagon wheel pasta because it is fun and whimsy, but any pasta will do.
- Tomatoes: Deseed your tomatoes so that the salad doesn’t get too juicy. You can also use grape or cherry tomatoes if you want. They do not have to be deseeded.
- Basil: Stick to fresh basil, dried basil just won’t give you the same flavor.
- Add-Ins: Make this avocado basil pasta your own by adding in cucumbers, bell peppers, or olives. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar for a bit of a zing. This salad is very customizable.
Avocado Basil Pasta Salad is one of those side dishes that go perfectly with your summer BBQ or Picnic. It’s not a heavy mayo-based salad so it’s ideal for transporting. The avocado creates a creaminess that is a mouth full, but it’s still light and refreshing with the basil, tomatoes, and lemon juice. The combinations are just scrumptious. Whether it’s for some Instant Pot BBQ Ribs, Air Fryer Steak, or Brown Sugar Salmon this pasta dish is going to be one of the best sides yet!
Can You Store Avocado Pasta with Basil?
Yes! Keep leftover avocado basil pasta salad in the fridge for up to 3 days. The avocados will turn brown as it sits, but should still be delicious! Toss the salad before serving each time.
Avocado Basil Pasta
- 8 ounces dried bow tie and/or wagon wheel pasta
- 2 medium avocados halved, seeded, peeled, and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
- 6 slices bacon crisp cooked, drained, and crumbled
- 2/3 cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
Cook the paste according to package directions. Rinse and set aside.
In a large bowl combine the avocados, tomatoes, bacon, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic pepper and salt. Add the pasta and toss to combine.
Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with cheese.
Originally Posted on July 14, 2013