Boom Boom Sauce is a sweet and spicy mayonnaise-based sauce that is perfect for dipping! It takes 5 minutes to whip up and is so full of flavor, making it perfect for fries, onion rings, and so much more.
I seriously love a good dip. Especially one that is easy to make! This boom boom sauce is basically a spicy fry sauce and is perfect for dipping your sweet potato fries, some onion rings, and even fried green tomatoes!
What Is Boom Boom Sauce?
But seriously, what is boom boom sauce? It’s really just a spiced fry sauce, and very similar to yum yum sauce. But not to be confused with Bang Bang sauce. I know, it’s getting confusing. Who comes up with these names anyways? I seriously Googled “why is it called boom boom sauce?” and the internet was confused. It comes from the Sheetz gas stations which are located mainly on the east coast. My guess of why they called it that is you dump some ingredients in a bowl, mix them together, boom boom you’ve got a sauce!
So more about the sauce. It’s a garlicky, spicy, tomatoey sauce with a mayo base. It’s perfect on burgers, with chicken tenders, and even as a dip for shrimp! Of course, the classic way to eat it is dipping your french fries in it. Out of all of the sauce recipes on my blog, this one is probably the easiest and has the most flavor. The taste is just hard to beat. So let’s get to making it!
Just like with any sauce, there are lots of ways to make this boom boom sauce. You can add a different kind of hot sauce to switch up the level of spice. You can add Dijon mustard for a little different taste (which I do often!). A little cayenne pepper also tastes amazing! If you want to keep this dairy free, then you can use a vegan mayonnaise. A little lime juice or vinegar can brighten up the flavors. Other than that, all you will need is a bowl and a whisk to make this amazing sauce! You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Mayonnaise: Any kind will work!
- Ketchup: This adds sweetness and acid from the tomatoes.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: This gives a little extra kick of heat and sweetness. You could use any kind of brand or flavor you want to keep things interesting.
- Onion Powder: I like to use onion powder for an extra kick of umami flavor.
- Garlic Powder: This blends so well with the garlicky Sriracha.
- Sriracha Sauce: The classic hot sauce that really makes this sauce unforgettable. If you like spice, then this is an ingredient you can add more of!
- Salt and Pepper: I like to use Kosher salt and crack some fresh black pepper to taste.
Boom Boom Sauce Recipe
I love this simple boom boom sauce copycat recipe! It’s so tasty and perfect for almost any occasion. I share some of my favorite ways to serve and eat this sauce below in the tip box (hint: it’s AMAZING on sandwiches!). Here’s how to make this simple sauce.
- Add Ingredients: Add the mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet chili sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha, and salt to a medium-sized bowl.
- Whisk: Whisk to combine until all of the ingredients are well blended.
- Chill: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Enjoy: Enjoy as a dipping sauce for anything fried, or as a spread for sandwiches and burgers!
Tips for Serving and Eating Boom Boom Sauce
If this is your first time hearing of boom boom sauce, then you may be wondering what to eat it with! Well lucky for you, you can try it with just about anything and I bet you’ll love it! So don’t overthink it. If you are still looking for some ideas, then here are my favorite ways to eat this sauce.
- Sandwiches and Burgers: Ever tried putting fry sauce on a burger? This sauce is even better than that! You can spread it on any burger or sandwich for a creamy and spicy addition. The base is mayo, so think of it that way!
- Asian Dishes: I have tried this with steamed and fried shrimp, fried rice, egg rolls, and wontons and was not disappointed! Asian flavors mesh really well with this garlicky spicy sauce.
- Fried Snacks and Sides: Your classic burger joint fried sides are the perfect companion for this sauce. Onion rings, fried zucchini, french fries of all varieties come to mind!
Storing boom boom sauce couldn’t be easier. Put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator and you have a yummy sauce to pull from all week. I love it so much!
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Boom Boom Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise, low-fat or regular
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
Add the mayonnaise, ketchup, sweet chili sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, sriracha, and salt to a medium-sized bowl.
Whisk to combine until all of the ingredients are well blended.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Enjoy as a dipping sauce for anything fried, or as a spread for sandwiches and burgers!