Creamy green goddess dressing is healthy and bursting with so many vibrant flavors! The combination of fresh herbs, Greek yogurt, garlic, and lemon creates an irresistible dressing and dip.
Making homemade salad dressings really elevate any salad, and they always taste better than store-bought. If you want to make your own delicious dressings at home, try my homemade Italian, Caesar, or Greek dressings. They are so amazing, and I know you will see how easy and inexpensive they are to make!
What Is Green Goddess Dressing?
This classic salad dressing was first created by a chef at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco in the 1920s. A play was popular in the city at the time and the name of the dressing was attributed to the star of the play, “The Green Goddess.” The chef created the dressing to add to his starter salad at the hotel, and the rest is history! Here we are today, 100 years later, still enjoying his delicious creation!
Homemade dressings are so fun and versatile, and it gives me an excuse to use my garden! My favorite thing about my garden is being about to use the fresh herbs in my recipes. Fresh herbs always taste better than dried herbs, and I highly recommend using them more often. They are perfect in this recipe mixed with the other ingredients! The creamy texture will leave you wanting to enjoy this green goddess dressing on everything!
Green Goddess Salad Dressing Ingredients
Most of these ingredients are ones that you already have on hand. There may be a few ingredients you need to buy, but once you have them on hand, you can make the dressing again and again! They are easy to store and simple to mix together. The exact ingredient measurements are at the bottom of the post on the recipe card.
- Greek Yogurt: Use Greek Yogurt instead of mayonnaise or sour cream. It is just as creamy! Because it’s also the healthier option.
- Cilantro, Basil, Parsley, Chives: Fresh herbs are the star of this recipe! Feel free to use any combination of herbs. Mint, dill, and tarragon are other great options to use.
- Green Onions: Green onions add a great mild onion flavor.
- Garlic: Always garlic…it’s a MUST!
- Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice adds a deliciously bright flavor to this dressing!
- Capers: Don’t leave them out. I promise you will agree that capers take this dressing to the next level! Traditionally this dressing has anchovies, but capers work perfectly to achieve that savory briny flavor!
- Red Wine Vinegar: The tanginess of vinegar wakes up all the flavors.
- Olive Oil: Extra virgin olive oil is great for dressings.
- Salt and Pepper: Salt and pepper to balance and season all the flavors.
Let’s Make a Homemade Dressing!
This green goddess dressing comes together so quickly and easily! I love that I can throw all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor and make this dressing in minutes! I always make it in the summertime because I have fresh green herbs.
- Combine: Combine all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend Ingredients: Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Enjoy: Enjoy this green goddess dressing on salads, use it as a dip for vegetables, or enjoy it as a dip for anything you desire!
Ideas for Using Green Goddess Dressing
This green goddess dressing is so versatile, and it isn’t just for green salads. Green goddess dressing is great with a lot of other recipes. It’s become a multi-purpose dressing at our house, and I know it will at your house too!
- Use on ALL salads: It pairs well with any type of salad and with any salad ingredients. You will discover that every salad tastes incredible with this dressing.
- Enjoy with Protein: I love to pair this dressing on the side of beef, pork, fish, or chicken and then use it as a dipping sauce.
- Vegetables: Perfect for dipping your favorite vegetables like celery, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, or carrots in.
- Potatoes: French fries, sweet potato fries, and roasted potatoes all need to have green goddess dressing on the side for dipping!
- Sandwich/Burgers: Great for spreading on bread or buns to add more flavoring.
- Grain Bowls: Grain bowls and grain bowls are all the rage these days. The combination of any grain, any meat, and any vegetable thrown together are called a bowl. Because they are so versatile, this green goddess dressing would be amazing on a lot of them. This chicken bowl or shrimp bowl are two of my favorites to drizzle with green goddess dressing.
Make a big batch of this green goddess dressing so that you can enjoy it all week long. It is so deliciously fresh and creamy that we use it in many different ways. For example, I love using leftovers as a dip for my veggies.
- In the Refrigerator: This dressing is quick and easy to make. Store in an airtight container with a lid in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.
Green Goddess Dressing
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 stalks green onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all of the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
Blend the ingredients until smooth and creamy!
Enjoy as a dressing for salads, use as a dip for vegetables, or enjoy as a dip for anything you desire!