This homemade Mexican chorizo recipe is easy to make and use in any recipe that calls for chorizo meat. Perfectly seasoned ground pork results in the classic flavors of chorizo using authentic spices and a hint of vinegar. You will fall in love with these flavors!
I love Mexican food and being able to make it at home. There is so much flavor packed into a dish that everyone in my family devours. If you love Mexican food like I do you’ll love this Slow Cooker Barbacoa Beef in a corn tortilla. Serve them with these Homemade Refried Beans and this Amazing Mexican Corn Salad. It’s the ultimate hearty and flavor-packed meal!
What is Mexican Chorizo?
Mexican Chorizo is a flavorful sausage that is traditionally made from ground pork. It is so yummy with a side of dirty rice and fresh pico de gallo. This fresh Mexican Chorizo is flavorful and known for being well seasoned with spices like chili powder, paprika, cumin, and oregano. You don’t have to make this ground pork dish into a chorizo sausage. You can just eat the meat on its own, in a taco, or in enchiladas.
Mexican Chorizo is different from Spanish Chorizo because Spanish Chorizo is usually cured like salami or pepperoni. You don’t have to cure this Mexican Chorizo. It is just cooked in a pan with all of the seasonings. You will love this recipe because the spices are so unique and really make this dish stand out. I love to make Chorizo because it is so easy and everyone compliments the flavors.
Ingredients in Homemade Chorizo
Chorizo is so full of flavor without very many ingredients. I love how simple this meal is because it is so filling and fun to eat. Your family will ask for this dish again and again! Most of the ingredients you will have on hand already. If you have to buy any spices you can add them to your spice cabinet to use again and again. See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Ground Pork: Chorizo translates to spicy pork sausage, so it is the traditional meat to use for this dish. If you want more fat in your chorizo, then you can buy a regular package of ground pork instead of a lean one.
- Homemade Chorizo Seasoning: This Chorizo Seasoning is a blend of spices like paprika and garlic that gives this dish its traditional flavor.
- White Vinegar: Vinegar helps the meat to crumble.
- Olive Oil: You can use your favorite oil. I like using olive oil the best, but vegetable oil or canola oil would work great in this recipe.
- Water: Use if needed.
How to Make Homemade Chorizo
All you need to make this Homemade Mexican Chorizo is one bowl and one pot. You will love how simple it is to make. You can easily make this dish in under 20 minutes! I also love that you can make extras for leftovers that just taste better and better. You can freeze your Chorizo and pull it out of the freezer for a quick meal. There are so many great ways to use Chorizo and making it is a breeze!
- Mix: In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, ⅓ cup of homemade chorizo seasoning, and 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Mix to combine using clean hands.
- Heat Oil: Add the oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Cook Pork: Add the pork mixture to the skillet and saute for 8-10 minutes. Then add water if the meat dries out too much as it cooks. I like my chorizo on the wetter side, so add water to your preference.
- Eat: Use in any recipe that calls for Mexican chorizo meat and enjoy!
Additions and Substitutions
My favorite thing about cooking is you can make everything exactly the way you like it! You can make this recipe the new household favorite by changing things to work for your taste buds.
- Use Different Meats: If you don’t like ground pork, you could use ground chicken, ground beef, or ground turkey. You could try all four ground meats to see which one you like best!
- Try Different Seasonings: Use different chili powders! You can get ancho chili powder or even dried ancho and guajillo chiles and grind the peppers up yourself. This will take the flavor to a whole new level. Then get creative and try different flavors that you think would be delicious!
- Use Chorizo in Different Dishes: If you are wondering how to eat chorizo, here are a few suggestions. You can make Mexican chorizo pasta or pizza. You could serve it will roasted vegetables and a side of salsa. You can get creative because you will enjoy this spiced sausage so much you’ll want to eat it all the time!
How to Store Leftover Mexican Chorizo
Chorizo makes perfect leftovers because the flavors get deeper with time. Follow these tips for storing your Homemade Chorizo to keep it fresh and delicious for days, or months in the freezer.
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your leftovers in an airtight container or covered with plastic wrap and then put it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for up to 5 days.
- In the Freezer: You can freeze this fresh Mexican Chorizo because it is not cured. Put your leftovers in an airtight container and then put them in the freezer. It will stay fresh for 3 months.
Homemade Mexican Chorizo
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 cup homemade chorizo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup water, if needed
In a large bowl, combine the ground pork, ⅓ cup of homemade chorizo seasoning, and 2 tablespoons white vinegar. Mix to combine using clean hands.
Add the oil to a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the pork mixture to the skillet and saute for 8-10 minutes. Add water if the meat dries out too much as it cooks. I like my chorizo on the wetter side, so add water to your preference.
Use in any recipe that calls for Mexican chorizo meat and enjoy!