This Mango Lassi is an Indian yogurt smoothie that is so creamy and full of flavor. It’s spiced with cardamom to give it a little kick, and it will have you coming back for seconds. It will be an instant hit every time you serve it!
I am in love with smoothies. I especially love to make them in the morning when my stomach isn’t ready for a hearty breakfast. They are full of nutrients and give me energy for my day. I absolutely love this Peach Smoothie, this green Detox Smoothie, and this yummy and unique Avocolada Smoothie.
Mango Lassi Recipe
A mango lassi is a yogurt-based drink similar to a smoothie. It is originally from India and you may have seen it on an Indian restaurant’s menu. If you have never tried one before, you are in for a treat! It’s similar to a mango smoothie, but you add yogurt and spices to it. It’s a rich and creamy drink that you will be absolutely hooked on!
The best thing about Indian food in my opinion is the spices! They absolutely make the most flavorful dishes with so many yummy and flavorful spices that I crave almost weekly. I always order chicken tikka masala when we eat out, or the butter chicken… or both! And to go with it, I ALWAYS get a mango lassi. They are the perfect compliment to any Indian dish or any meal for that matter!
A mango lassi has just a few simple ingredients that are similar to a smoothie. You also have a lot of wiggle room to make this recipe exactly the way you want it. If you don’t have certain things on hand you can improvise! I have made a lot of different versions of a lassi with different ingredients and it’s always delicious. You can find the measurements below in the recipe card.
- Plain Yogurt: Yogurt is part of what makes this a lassi. I used plain whole milk yogurt, but you can use almost any yogurt that you think would go great with mangos. You could also use a low-fat yogurt to cut down on calories.
- Milk: I like to add milk because it really helps everything cream together. You could use milk alternatives if you are trying to avoid dairy
- Frozen Mangos: You will use frozen mangoes, that way you don’t have to use any ice cubes and water it down! It makes a super flavorful and creamy texture. You could also use canned mango pulp instead, you should be able to find some in the freezer section.
- Honey: I like to sweeten this lassi with honey. It has the perfect flavor and helps to make a creamy smoothie. I have used agave instead as a sweetener and it was really delicious.
- Ground Cardamom: You might not think of cardamom when you think of a smoothie, but trust me on this one. It’s so delicious! It has a little bit of warmth that feels and tastes amazing.
How To Make a Traditional Mango Lassi
A mango lassi is just as easy to make as a smoothie or a milkshake! In fact, I’ve even used ice cream instead of yogurt (and left out sweeteners) and made a mango milkshake lassi, and it was incredible. The added spice is really what sets this lassi apart!
- Add Ingredients: Add the yogurt, milk, frozen mangoes, honey, and cardamom into a high-powered blender.
- Blend: Blend at high speed for about 1 minute until you get a smooth silky texture.
- Adjust: If the mango lassi is too thick, add more liquid and blend until you reach the desired thickness. Or if you prefer it thicker, add ice!
- Enjoy: Taste and add additional sweetener if it’s too tangy for your liking. Pour into serving glasses and enjoy!
Tips for Making Mango Lassi
A mango lassi is super simple to make and a favorite at my house! It’s so easy to whip up too. You will fall in love with all of the amazing lassi flavors you can create! Here are a few tips to take your mango lassi to the next level.
- Using Fresh Mangos: If you want to use fresh mangoes, you can absolutely do that! Make sure to buy fresh and sweet mangoes for the best flavor lassi. You will peel the mango skin off and cut the mango flesh off the stone. You will need to add ice in order to get a nice thick consistency, just like a smoothie. Start with 1 C of ice and see how thick it is, and add more ice if it is too runny.
- Types of Yogurt: I used plain yogurt, but you could use greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is thicker and there is a really great honey greek yogurt that would go perfectly. You could also use sweetened yogurts or vanilla yogurt if you like your lassi on the sweet side. I’ve tried it with coconut yogurt, and it was amazing!
- Adding Flavors and Garnishes: One of the most common additions to a lassi is saffron (Kesar). It goes perfectly with mango and cardamom, so feel free to add it in! Another common one is almonds, you could add about 1 tsp crushed almonds for garnish. Pistachios are also a great garnish. You could also add any other fruit that you think would be yummy!
- Making A Vegan Mango Lassi: This recipe is a great vegan recipe if you switch out the milk! You could use a plant-based milk like almond milk or coconut milk.
Mango lassi is best enjoyed fresh. It tends to melt and taste less fresh the longer it is left in the refrigerator. It won’t go bad right away, but it definitely tastes best right after you make it!
- In the Refrigerator: You can store your mango lassi for up to two days in the refrigerator. It won’t go bad that quickly, but the fresh fruit will start to turn colors and not taste as good.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk, more as needed
- 2 cups frozen mangos
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
Add the yogurt, milk, frozen mangoes, honey, and cardamom into a high-powered blender.
Blend at high speed for about 1 minute until you get a smooth silky texture.
If the mango lassi is too thick, add more liquid and blend until you reach the desired thickness. Or if you prefer it thicker, add ice!
Taste and add additional sweetener if it’s too tangy for your liking. Enjoy!