Slow cooker chicken tortellini soup is loaded with chopped vegetables, shredded cooked chicken, and cheesy tortellini all slow-cooked in a flavorful chicken broth. It’s definitely a dinner the whole family will love!
Adding tortellini to soups just gives it a little more spunk. Try more soups with tortellini in them like this Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup, this delicious Creamy Tuscan Garlic Tortellini Soup or this classic Creamy Sausage Tortellini Soup. You will have a hard time picking out which one is your favorite!
A Reader’s Review
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
This slow cooker chicken tortellini soup is the best of the best! Who doesn’t love a soup that has veggies and cheesy noodles? It’s a fun and easy twist on the classic chicken noodle soup. I especially love this soup because you can make it in the crockpot! That means little to no prep time and lots of flavors. This soup simmers low and slow for 6 hours!
Not only is it easy to make, and you come home to your house smelling delicious, but you can use frozen tortellini, which then makes the process so much easier! This soup takes very little prep, and the reward of the finished dish is absolutely delicious. Serve it with some rolls and then a yummy salad. Your entire family will love it!
Ingredients in Chicken Tortellini Soup
This chicken tortellini soup is comforting at its best! You won’t go wrong with this flavorful, SO DELICIOUS soup that will warm your soul. It is quick and easy to make with all the simple ingredients. Check out the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Chicken Breast: I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
- Vegetables: Onions, carrots, and celery make this similar to a classic chicken noodle soup.
- Garlic Cloves: You can use fresh garlic cloves or minced garlic from your fridge. ½ teaspoon equals about one clove of garlic.
- Chicken Broth and Water: I used low-sodium chicken broth as the base of this soup.
- Bay Leaves: The bay leaves add seasoning to the soup.
- Italian Seasoning: You can buy this at the store or make it at home using this recipe.
- Tortellini: You can use fresh or frozen tortellini! Just add a little bit of extra time if you are using frozen tortellini.
- Fresh Parsley: This is a garnish that is optional.
- Salt and Pepper: These will enhance the soup’s flavors.
Let’s Make Some Soup!
This slow cooker chicken tortellini soup is super easy to make. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker except for the tortellini. I like to add that in about 15 minutes before serving, so they don’t get mushy!
- Add Ingredients: Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker except for the tortellini.
- Cook: Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Shred chicken: Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and then shred (or cube) and add back to the slow cooker.
- Add Tortellini: With 15 minutes left then you can add the tortellini to the soup.
- Season: Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and then serve immediately with chopped parsley, if desired.
This chicken tortellini soup is one of my favorites! Here are more tips on how to make this the BEST slow cooker chicken tortellini soup recipe.
- Cut Vegetables: It is best to cut the vegetables into larger sizes and all about the same width. This will ensure the vegetables cook throughout during the same time. Then, the larger veggies won’t become mushy while it cooks!
- Fresh is Best: Fresh tortellini cooks quicker compared to frozen. If you are using frozen tortellini, then add a little more time to cook them longer in the slow cooker.
- Creamier Broth: Half and half or whipping cream can make this a creamier base broth if you are looking for a creamy broth.
- Leafy Greens: Looking for a healthier version with leafy greens?! Try adding kale or spinach to the soup.
Storing Chicken Tortellini Soup
This recipe is great for busy nights and making ahead or using as a freezer meal. Here are the instructions on how you can store this soup or make this ahead of time!
- Can You Make Chicken Tortellini Soup Ahead of Time? Yes, this is a great soup to make ahead of time. Simply follow the instructions and leave out the tortellini. Once it is cooked and cooled, place the chicken tortellini soup into a ziplock bag or airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days long. When you are ready to warm up, add the tortellini pasta once the soup is warmed through.
- Prepare Vegetables Ahead of Time: Trying to get a head start on this soup. Simply chop your vegetables the night before. When ready to make, add it all to the slow cooker to cook.
- Can you Freeze Chicken Tortellini Soup? Yes! Once your soup has completely cooled, either leave out the tortellini or remove the tortellini before placing them in a ziplock bag. Place in the freezer, laying flat for up to one month. When ready to eat then simply place in the refrigerator overnight until it is thawed.
- How to Reheat Chicken Tortellini Soup: When ready to warm up, place back into the slow cooker or a large pot over the stovetop. Warm up slowly, stirring occasionally. Once the Chicken Tortellini Soup is warmed up, add in the tortellini pasta. Cook until tender and everything is warmed through.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breast
- 3 medium carrots peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning or more to taste
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- chopped fresh parsley for serving if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all of the ingredients to a slow cooker except for the tortellini.
Cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cube and add back to the slow cooker.
Add in the tortellini and cook for 15 minutes or until they are cooked all the way through.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Discard bay leaves and serve immediately with chopped parsley, if desired.
Updated on October 12, 2022