Showcase fresh tomatoes with this light and refreshing tomato basil salad! It’s tossed with aromatic herbs, olive oil, and vinegar for a fresh, bright flavor that is hard to resist!
The flavor of the tomato can easily be enhanced with the simplest of ingredients! Whether they are grilled with a vinaigrette, served with mozzarella, or roasted with garlic and parmesan, I know you will adore how they turn out!
Fresh Tomato Basil Salad Recipe
Sometimes I feel like my body needs a break from heavy salads. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love a good caesar salad like the next guy- but sometimes I wish the amazing natural flavors of the veggies were put in the spotlight! That is why, my friends, I am here to show you one of the most amazing salad recipes on my blog to date. Don’t let the lack of variety scare you! The simple pairing of chopped tomatoes and a flavorful vinaigrette is absolutely mouthwatering. Even if you aren’t a huge tomato lover, I would definitely recommend you give this a try. The light flavor of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil, and cracked salt and pepper makes each bite a dream. You’ll love the flavor!
This is the perfect salad to throw together in a pinch. If you have tomatoes on hand, chances are you have the rest of the ingredients to make it! Despite being so easy to make, it has big, gourmet flavor! Aside from eating it as-is, you can top it on crostini and bruschetta! It’s so versatile. It’s also packed with countless nutritional benefits. Fresh tomatoes are loaded with antioxidants, potassium, and vitamins. Then you get your healthy fats from the olive oil! The vinaigrette is also low-calorie so it’s a salad that tastes good but also makes you feel good! Even the picky eaters in my family have liked this which is saying something. It always gets devoured. I’m positive it will have the same result at your house! Let’s get started!
Everything You Need for This Salad
Tomato basil salad is honestly one of my favorite salads. I love how the natural flavor of tomato shines through. Then, the light flavor of olive oil combined with zippy balsamic vinegar is a perfect addition! Each bite is so juicy and flavorful. My tip here would be to make sure you have the freshest tomatoes possible! That’s going to help it turn out the best. As always, all measurements can be found in the recipe card below.
- Roma Tomatoes: I like to use large roma tomatoes, sliced into bite-sized pieces. I like using the roma variety for their fresh and tangy flavor.
- Basil: Fresh basil will give you the best flavor. I like to cut it into thin strips! This is going to give your salad a slightly minty, peppery, aromatic finish. You’ll love it!
- Flaky Salt: I like using flaky salt to sprinkle on top. It helps enhance the overall flavor and also gives it a bit of texture! Salt also helps pull juices from vegetables to tenderize your tomatoes.
- Cracked Pepper: Adding a little fresh cracked pepper makes all the difference in the overall flavor of your salad! It’s perfectly warm, aromatic and will make each bite a treat.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: This type of olive oil is loaded with antioxidants and has a richer flavor than normal olive oil. The moisture and flavor it helps to add to the salad is fantastic!
- Balsamic Vinegar: Balsamic vinegar adds the perfect tang to your tomato basil salad.
How to Make the Best Tomato Basil Salad
This recipe is as basic as it gets. It requires almost no effort and puts more time back into your day! In less than 10 minutes, you have a salad filled with flavor, ready to eat!
- Toss Tomatoes with Vinaigrette: Let’s make some tasty salad! To begin, in a medium bowl toss the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar together. Try a small amount and add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Let Salad Rest: Allow the salad to sit for 10-15 minutes to marinate together.
- Serve: To finish, serve on top of crostini, pasta, chicken, lettuce or pita chips.
Tips for Making The Best Tomato Basil Salad
Tomato basil salad is really one of the most refreshing salads to make. And it can be used in so many ways! It’s bright, tasty, and incredibly easy! It’s sure to be a hit wherever it’s served.
- Fresh Tomatoes: This recipe shines when you’ve got wonderfully ripe tomatoes. If you can get them, I recommend using Roma tomatoes fresh from the garden or farmer’s market. Heirloom variety tomatoes are also a great substitute.
- Thinly Sliced Basil: For this recipe I like to roll the basil leaves the long way and use a very sharp knife to slice thin ribbons. This is also known as chiffonade. Using a very sharp knife will prevent the basil from being bruised and will keep it nice and green.
- Use High Quality Oil: Using a high quality extra virgin olive oil will give your salad a more bold, fruity olive oil flavor that just sings with tomatoes and basil.
- Let It Sit: Allowing your salad to sit for a short while before serving makes it nice and juicy. The salt pulls moisture from the tomatoes and helps marinate everything together. After you’ve enjoyed your salad with your chosen vessel, try dipping some crusty bread in the leftover juices. It might be my favorite part of this recipe!
This salad has a lot of classic Italian flavors, so it tastes great alongside pasta! You could make this a complete meal by serving your salad with breadsticks and soup, a protein of your choice, pasta, and then either bruschetta or crostini. You can add your tomato basil salad to bruschetta for a mouthwatering combination of juicy tomato and crispy bread!
Storing Your Tomato Basil Salad
Because this recipe uses fresh ingredients, the shelf life is quite short. If you somehow don’t devour the entire recipe when you serve it, go ahead and store it for up to two days in the fridge.
- In The Refrigerator: Store the leftover salad in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days. You can make it ahead of time by 1 day, but if you do this you should only keep it for up to 24 hours after serving.
Tomato Basil Salad
- 5-6 large Roma Tomatoes diced
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Basil Sliced Thin
- 1 Teaspoon Flaky Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
In a medium bowl toss the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar together. Taste a small amount and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Allow the salad to sit for 10-15 minutes to marinate together.
Serve on top of crostini, pasta, chicken, lettuce or pita chips.